Breeding for the first time?

• Hi all,

I have a tri-colored bitch that I want to breed this season. She is going to be three in November. I am relatively new to the breed, we've had her for a little over a year, and I have never bred a dog before. I have been reading "rules" and "requirements" wherever I can find them, but can anyone give me a quick summary of what's required for a successful breeding? I am not breeding show dogs, I have 4 people who are very much in love with her, and want a puppy from her, and we are probably going to keep a puppy too. Any suggestions or advices?

Thanks in advance.

• Have you done any health testing on her? The minimum recommended testing for basenjis is OFA x-rays for hip dysplasia, CERF exam by a certified veterinary opthamalogist, OFA thyroid panel, and DNA Marker Test for Fanconi.

http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/brdreqs.html?breed=BJ

• She is Fanconi clear and her eyes are fine. The previous owner did those tests. I might want to re-do all the tests though. Does any veterinarian do those tests? Or at least hip dysplasia, thyroid and CERF?

• If the DNA Marker test was run, you should be able to verify that on the OFA website, http://www.offa.org All marker tests must be in the OFA database so if her results are not there then she was not tested using the DNA Marker test. If she had a registered CERF exam that will also show up on her OFA page.

CERF exams must be redone yearly since PRA is a late onset disease so will only be detected if eye exams are done on a regular basis. CERF exams can only be done by a certified veterinary opthamologist. Hip x-rays and thyroid testing should be able to be done at your vet's office but you must make sure that the thyroid test is sent to an OFA approved lab with the OFA form.

• The DNA Marker test for Fanconi can be ordered from the OFA website, https://secure.offa.org/cart.html

• In order to make an informed breeding decision with regards to hips, eyes, and thyroid, you really need to know what the parents' test results are. It is only be looking at the vertical and horizontal health in the pedigree for these disease that you can estimate your risk of producing these diseases. How well do you know the pedigree of your girl? Are her parents in the OFA database?

• Just checked her parents, both are negative. Maybe the Fanconi wasn't done on her after all. Will order it today. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the results?

• We got Jaycee's back in about two weeks but I am sure it depends on how busy they are.

Rita Jean

• Thank you everyone for your input! I will keep you guys posted on the testing/breeding progress!

• @diff_eqs:

Just checked her parents, both are negative. Maybe the Fanconi wasn't done on her after all. Will order it today. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the results?

Have you talked to her breeder? The best way to find out about Sire/Dam, Siblings, etc is to talk to the breeder.

Do you have a sire picked out? And have they approved your girl?

And really they can't be negative, there is no negative for Fanconi it is Clear, Ind, Carrier or Affected?

• @diff_eqs:

Thank you everyone for your input! I will keep you guys posted on the testing/breeding progress!

And you really should have her hips done, eyes checked and Thyroid done before considering breeding her.

• And the sire you want to breed to should have all of these tests as well. And the same pedigree research should be done on him too. After all, the puppies will be genetically half his too, not just your girl.

Make sure you think long and hard and do lots of research before getting involved in breeding. The Basenji "season" is coming up fast and maybe waiting until next year will give you more time to complete health tests, find a sire that complements your girl, and prepare your litter plans? If you are going to bring puppies into this world, you need to be responsible for them for their entire lives and ensure that you have done the best you can for the breed to produce the healthiest, happiest, well socialized dogs for their new homes.

• @tanza:

And you really should have her hips done, eyes checked and Thyroid done before considering breeding her.

Yep, everything is getting done within the next two weeks, already talked to vets.

• @tanza:

Have you talked to her breeder? The best way to find out about Sire/Dam, Siblings, etc is to talk to the breeder.

Do you have a sire picked out? And have they approved your girl?

And really they can't be negative, there is no negative for Fanconi it is Clear, Ind, Carrier or Affected?

Clear for Fanconi I meant. Thanks for pointing it out.

I have not picked a sire yet. I have two breeders in mind which might dogs available. I am getting all tests done first to make sure that she is even suitable for breeding, and then I am going to call both breeders, see what they have.

• It is recommended that hips are NOT done when a Bitch is close or in season. There are physical changes in bitches that are in season due to the fact that their body is "expecting" or "preparing" for possible birth. You will not really get a good result.. IMO

• Perhaps if you share the breeding of your bitch the people here might be able to give you valuable input you wouldn't otherwise know given this is your first time breeding a basenji. And this is not to say that anyone should feel comfortable giving a sub-par companion dog to a stranger, but…I'm assuming that the people who love your bitch are friends and they will be part of your life after they get their puppy. Should any problems arise 10 years down the road that can be prevented AT THIS STAGE RIGHT NOW, it comes back to you.
    There is an incredible amount of experience and knowledge in the people here and it would be smart to use it as well as you can.

• Ok here's her pedigree: Chargare's Rasha (Karak's Moses Mahena x Karak's Padme Hum) x Chargare's Busara (Karak's Buddy Capo x Cambria's Cahuilla Jewel). Both the sire and the dam were bred by Richard Hanna. I have not decided on the mate for my girl yet, I was going to call around and see who has a suitable male (preferrably red and white). Maybe someone here who reads this can suggest a sire in California?

Thanks!

• Is your girls registered name Busara's Nzuri Moyo? If so, both her sire and dam are DNA for Fanconi as Clear. While there is no "clear" by parentage, at least it is good that the sire and dam are clear. That said, looking in the OFA database there is no other health testing done. Also if this is your girl, there is Hip Dyplasia in her pedigee.

I have never heard of her breeder and I have been in Basenjis for 20 years.

• Pat,

According to Sallie's pedigree site, Busara's Nzuri Moyo was born Nov '05 and would be 4 this fall. I think she said her bitch will be three….

• @mauigirl:

Pat,

According to Sallie's pedigree site, Busara's Nzuri Moyo was born Nov '05 and would be 4 this fall. I think she said her bitch will be three….

Yes, I saw that…. it was said that the bitch would be three in November, but since they only have had her a year, maybe they have the age wrong. If not, then she is not AKC registered.

Suggested Topics