• Join us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Youtube Channel
  • Subscribe to RSS

Welcome to Basenji Community

Basenji owners from around the world come together at Basenji Forums to talk about this wonderful breed. We encourage your active participation in discussions on our forum.

Register now for free and start exploring the community
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Life Expectancy??

How old is your basenji?

I have found varying ages for the average life expectancy of Basenjis - anywhere from 8 to 16 years. While it's not the happiest topic, what experience have you forum readers had?

(Please forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else in the forums. I did a search, but couldn't find anything related.)

Thanks
    Last edited by WeLuvBasenjis; 05-27-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Our basenji lived for 13 years. His brother and sister (who were born at the same time as him) died a couple of years earlier, but I'm not sure the exact number of years. He really didn't start acting "old" until the very last year.

My oldest right now are Maggii, will be 16 August 27th, OJ - will be 16 September 9th, Mickii - Was 14 Feb 21st, Kistii - was 12 December 15th....

Maggii is the last of her litter, OJ is the last of his litter. Mickii's sister is still alive... and all but one of Kristii's littermates are still alive...

Mine are in fairly good health except all but Kristii are deaf... Maggii is in renal failure but doing OK with treat of SubQ fluids and still a very happy bed dog!
    Pat Fragassi
    Tanza Basenjis
    www.tanzabasenjis.net

the two that we had put down last summer, Sahara and Chaka Zulu, were 17 and 16 respectively...both quite ill at the end, having seizures, incontinent, etc. We had them cremated at a wonderful pet cemetary near where we live. But now we have another basenji in our home again, by the grace of God. I know you folks understand. from chris and tom on cape cod

By the way, average age for a Basenjis now days should be around 14 to 16.. of course barring Fanconi... or other genetic problems known to the breed..
    Pat Fragassi
    Tanza Basenjis
    www.tanzabasenjis.net

Default Thank You

Thanks to everyone who responded. I had started to freak out a little yesterday when a Basenji site listed age span as 8 to 10 years. My B is 8 years old and has been with us for a little more than 4 years. I hardly remember what life was like before we got her! While she has calmed down some in the last year or so, she certainly doesn't act old.

I also want to give a broader thank you to everyone on this site. What a wonderful source of information and support!

Quote Originally Posted by WeLuvBasenjis
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I had started to freak out a little yesterday when a Basenji site listed age span as 8 to 10 years. My B is 8 years old and has been with us for a little more than 4 years. I hardly remember what life was like before we got her! While she has calmed down some in the last year or so, she certainly doesn't act old.

I also want to give a broader thank you to everyone on this site. What a wonderful source of information and support!
    No, 8-10 is definitely just starting to be a *little old They don't start seeming old until they are 12 or more
    Andrea Walters
    Quercus Basenjis
    NW Ohio

My 9 1/2 year old is running Iron Hound this weekend along with another 9 1/2 year old. Both are in good condition and having a blast and are definately still competitive against the youngsters.

What site said that?... Things like that should try to be corrected... I usually write the webmaster and let them know when things are on sites that are obviously incorrect about our breed.
    Pat Fragassi
    Tanza Basenjis
    www.tanzabasenjis.net

dogbreedinfo.com { http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/basenji.htm}

has a life expectancy of 10 - 12 yrs. Of course, they also state that Basenjis respond well to training and are eager to please. HA HA HA HA

What they fail to mention is that the Basenji IS eager to please . . .. THEMSELVES!