• I have to buy a basket/cage muzzle for an upcoming appointment Oakley has and I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a brand? I'm looking at the Guardian Gear muzzle, I have to measure Oakley but I was wondering generally what size muzzle they take?

• My Cosmo has one and it's a Size 1. It fits her comfortably and she doesn't mind the few times I put it on her (with treats, of course 🙂 ).
    attachment_p_168697_0_muzzle-sample.jpg

• So I measured Oakley and his length is 3" and circumference is 8….
    And guardian tells you to add 1" to small/medium breeds..would you deduce an xs?

Muzzle Size * *Muzzle Width * * * Snout Circumference
    XXX-Small * * 3 1/2" * * * * * * * * * 7"
    XX-Small * * * * 4" * * * * * * * * * * * * 8"
    X-Small * * * * * *4 1/4" * * * * * * * * * * 9"
    Small * * * * * *5 1/4" * * * * * * * * * * * 10"
    Medium * * * * * *5 1/2" * * * * * * * * * * * 12"
    Large * * * * * *6 1/4" * * * * * * * * * * * 13"
    X-Large * * * * * *6 3/4" * * * * * * * * * * * 15"

Measure the circumference midway between the tip of the nose and eyes. Add 1" for small/medium breeds and 2" for large breeds.

• I have that type also. But I have the mesh too which I think is a bit cooler.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/dog-muzzles/11442-503503/coastal-pet-best-fit-mesh-muzzles-black.html

I went to look and mine says size 4 so not much help as I don't know the brand, pretty sure got at pet smart.

• @Chealsie508:

So I measured Oakley and his length is 3" and circumference is 8….
    And guardian tells you to add 1" to small/medium breeds..would you deduce an xs?

Muzzle Size * *Muzzle Width * * * Snout Circumference
    XXX-Small * * 3 1/2" * * * * * * * * * 7"
    XX-Small * * * * 4" * * * * * * * * * * * * 8"
    X-Small * * * * * *4 1/4" * * * * * * * * * * 9"
    Small * * * * * *5 1/4" * * * * * * * * * * * 10"
    Medium * * * * * *5 1/2" * * * * * * * * * * * 12"
    Large * * * * * *6 1/4" * * * * * * * * * * * 13"
    X-Large * * * * * *6 3/4" * * * * * * * * * * * 15"

Measure the circumference midway between the tip of the nose and eyes. Add 1" for small/medium breeds and 2" for large breeds.

I guess that size works. Cosmo has the same snout measurement as Oakley.

On Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Lined-Nylon-Muzzle-2-Inch/dp/B000RRM4GO), that brand you mentioned had this image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61T-R21S12L.SX355.jpg

• I hope it fits, I ordered it and he needs to have it in order to attend a doctors appointment on the 30th…if it doesn't fit I will ask the vet to borrow one... I don't dislike the mesh, but I feel like the basket muzzle gives a better opportunity to pant, of which he will. He has only ever worn a muzzle once and so I am nervous he will fight it so I'm hoping to introduce it as soon as it comes. I'm not necessarily comfortable with using a muzzle but at the very least its good he get accustomed to one, especially if he will be lure coursing with others

Suggested Topics