• We are a family of 5 looking for a pet. Have some family members that have allergies, which makes the breed appealing. We do have 3 small children that are anxious to complete our family. We have a fenced in yard that has a doggy door to the sunroom. My husband works from home.

• I know a breeder in Wilmington il that has 4 basenji puppies available.

• Keep in mind that Basenjis DO shed and have dander… so it depends on how bad the allergies are... Basenjis are NOT hypoallergenic dogs

• Sometimes I get a little itchy after holding my dog and they definitely shed! Most basenjis in the US are born in the late fall early/mid winter and breeders often having waiting lists. Check the https://basenji.org/joomla/ website and look for a breeder of merit in your area. You might need to travel to find the perfect dog!

• Yes do your research also most breeders will give you a pillow case that they have their dogs sleep on and try resting on that's see if you get a reaction. Go to a dog show and pet the dogs.

The breeder I am recommending is on the suggested breeders for Illinois, the AKC site Darkar basenjis I think is her breeder name?

Either way Greyslake il is having a basenji speciality next week end, if you really want a dog, every breeder in the area including the one I mention will be there.

• All the breeders in our area will get you basenji deep in them to test the waters. Also they are all screened for fanconi. I too got a basenji because of my allergies. I am allergic to everything, but I have little to no reaction to basenjis and we have three for twelve years now. Still everyone is different. Do your research on the breed.

• @Barklessdog:

Either way Greyslake il is having a basenji speciality next week end, if you really want a dog, every breeder in the area including the one I mention will be there.

Hi Barklessdog, what activities will take place at the Grayslake event?. I have a Basenji and I am curious as I live close to there.

• It's a dog show with a hound specialty. I was going to go if my dog still needed points but he finished last month. I don't know what other events they have other than conformation and you really aren't supposed to take any dog that isn't entered. Breeders/exhibitors will take future show dogs but walking around with a pet if frowned upon. There will be a lot of nice dogs and good breeders there so anyone looking for a B will be in luck!

Suggested Topics