• So I took Nani (9 weeks now!) to the dog park today. She did pretty well, but was very skidish with the other dogs at first (they were all much bigger than her, all were >40lbs) but got used to them quickly. She played chase a little but she ended up getting run over by the other dogs and she stopped playing chase then. She was around the other dogs but wasn't really playing with them, just sniffing them and kind of doing her on thing.

There was one dog in particular though, a 4mnth old blank and tan hound dog who was kind of rough. He was very territorial and the owners weren't very good at getting him to stop doing something. Well, this dog initially was harassing Nani a little, as in he would kinda swing his front right leg at her like he's trying to punch her and chase her. Nani would just try to walk away but the hound would keep after her. Nani wasn't yelping but it definitely looked like she was really annoyed/aggravated with it. The owners would step in and grab him though, and eventually he did stop paying attention to her.

My question is, did I introduce her to the dog park too early? And, in the hound case, should I have intervened or just the other owner?

Also, I noticed that she was pretty good when I recalled her and she would come back to be (each time I did and she came back, she got a treat). I did notice though, after she got about 20+yards away, she wouldn't recall really unless I got closer, is this because she can't hear me or, she's still just a puppy…

• IMO, 9 wks is too early for a dog park… she needs to have all her shots first.. you have no idea if the other dogs at the park are up to date on their shots, if any are sick, etc... she could pick up anything... That said, I don't ever do dog parks
    You need to watch out for your own dog, period... not expect others to do the right thing... but this means, if your pup is being picked on you take her out of the situation.
    Unless she has a hearing disorder, she hears you but is not paying attention to you. When you call her, do her ears flick towards your voice?

• Agree, too early for the dog park. And with Basenjis, the recall response you get from an insecure pup is likely a lot better than you will get later from a self confident adult!! I think you are taking things a bit fast for such a young dog. Patience, training at home with no distractions, lots of attention from you. The rest can come later.

• thanks guys!

I wasn't paying attention to her ears so I can't say how they were when I was calling her. As for the park…no parks for now until shes had all of her shots...should've asked before taking her as now I'm a little paranoid if she has contracted anything...if she has...when would symptoms show? Do they show fairly quickly, a couple days?

• @k1ng87:

thanks guys!

no parks for now until shes had all of her shots…should've asked before taking her as now I'm a little paranoid if she has contracted anything...if she has...when would symptoms show? Do they show fairly quickly, a couple days?

That would of course depend on what she picked up. You are likely fine, I wouldn't stress about it. Just pay attention if her appetite is off or if you notice anything unusual in her behaviour, e.g. if she seems less lively than usual.

Suggested Topics