Looking to adopt a basenji (Los Angeles, CA)

• Hi everyone 🙂

My fiance and I met a basenji mix at a large adoption event a while back and fell in love with the breed. It wasn't the right time then, but now we are ready to welcome a dog into our lives! We would love to adopt a red/white basenji or basenji mix (puppy to 5 years old). We're a young, active couple (both 29yrs old) and want to take the dog on weekend hikes, dog parks, and the beach (we live less than 3 miles from the coast). Please let me know if you have any information or have a basenji you need to rehome.

Thanks guys!

Stella

• I have one that I can no longer keep because I'm moving to an apartment that doesn't allow dogs. He's 7 1/2 months old (born 12/17/14). He's a brindle color. $1000. We're in Northern California.

• there's been one listed on Craigslist that might be worth looking at:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pet/5128491520.html

I know nothing about this dog - good, bad or otherwise, just saw that it was being listed.

Otherwise, I'd recommend going to basenji.org and looking for breeder contacts there. Contact a few and see if they can help you

• HMMC76 - Have you contact the breeder? Most responsible breeders require that their dogs be returned to them if the dog needs to be re-homed

• @HMMC76:

I have one that I can no longer keep because I'm moving to an apartment that doesn't allow dogs. He's 7 1/2 months old (born 12/17/14). He's a brindle color. $1000. We're in Northern California.

Just 7 mos ago you were desperately seeking a dog… now you can't keep it? PLEASE contact the person you got it from. $1000 is a hell of a lot for a basenji... wow. I am sure the breeders would want it back as most have contracts demanding first right of refusal at least.

• I live in Pasadena, California. I just recently lost my 14 year old basenji to cancer. Me and my husband have had two basenjis that we have given the best life possible. We would love to have two puppies. I have a toddler in my life who lived with us for two years. She learned how to give him treats, make him sit and then give him his treats. Me and my husband are missing not having pups in the house. we have had 14 years of basenji experience. I am checking around for avaiable basenjis. If anyone can direct us to a reputable breeder, please do. Thank you.

• Laura,
    You have posted under someone's thread looking to adopt. Hopefully people will still see it but you might get more attention on a new thread. I am starting one for you and will add the link.

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?16376-For-Laura-(-yodels2u)-seeing-breeder-wants-2-puppies&p=173379#post173379

That should take you to the thread. Good luck in your search. I know members here will have some breeders for you. Also, you might consider BRAT or rescues. While puppies not that common, they do come along. Also considering older pups (6 to 10 mos) from breeders that didn't work out for show but would be great as pets will broaden your options.

Suggested Topics