Help for RDS (Restless Dog Syndrome)

• One of my dogs is costing me some MUCH needed sleep. She's 6 years old, in very good health, usually eats dinner at about 5, gets her last walk at 6, and generally has been happy to sleep through the night at the foot of my bed, either on the floor or on the mattress.

For the last few nights, she's been up and down all night: on the bed, then off, then pacing, then on the bed, then going downstairs, then back upstairs, pawing at her foam dog bed, barking at something (she's never barked at night before) then back onto MY bed, and then repeat! I am an extremely light sleeper, so these night-time antics are really costing me.

What the heck is up with her? Why would she suddenly be so &$*% restless during the night? Any suggestions?

Lori

The Z-Pack, Zen, Zoe, and Ziggy

• @ZenGrrrl:

One of my dogs is costing me some MUCH needed sleep. She's 6 years old, in very good health, usually eats dinner at about 5, gets her last walk at 6, and generally has been happy to sleep through the night at the foot of my bed, either on the floor or on the mattress.

For the last few nights, she's been up and down all night: on the bed, then off, then pacing, then on the bed, then going downstairs, then back upstairs, pawing at her foam dog bed, barking at something (she's never barked at night before) then back onto MY bed, and then repeat! I am an extremely light sleeper, so these night-time antics are really costing me.

What the heck is up with her? Why would she suddenly be so &$*% restless during the night? Any suggestions?

Lori

The Z-Pack, Zen, Zoe, and Ziggy

IMO, with a change like that, a trip to the vet would be in order…. What is she doing during the day? Is she any different? Obviously something is going on....

• I agree with Pat, I think a vet visit sounds like it might be in order. Is she eating & drinking normally? Have you taken her outside when she starts to pace and does she pee or poop?

The only time Ruby has ever gotten off the bed & started pacing was when she had diarrhea. She doesn't even move when in the summer the windows are open and the coyotes are close by howling. I'm a light sleeper as well and when she was sick, I wanted her to sleep with me so that I'd be sure I woke up in case she needed to go out.

• How long do you walk her.
    If she has no medical issues, it might just be that she needs more exercise in the daytime.
    I will be very interested in what the vet says..

• Actually, one other thought.

Do you live in a wooded area…could it be there are deer or something in your yard that she can either see or smell? I know during the day and early evening that if Ruby starts running around like that, if I take her outside there have always been deer on the edge of the property. Although, that has never happened in the middle of the night during sleep time.

• The thing that I would be concerned about is this is a new behavior. A few months ago, my Mickii's behavior changed along with refusing to eat… as it turned out we think that she ate part of a rat that had been poisioned. It sent her liver values off the wall.. and took a while to get her back to normal.... I would also take a change in behavior like you are seeing with your girl as something the needs to be checked asap...

• Also, pain in general can cause this sort of behavior. She could be restless because she can't get comfortable. Rally became very restless as her pain medication wore off right after her spay because no position she got into was comfortable. A vet check to rule out a health issue is a very good suggestion.

• EL D occasionally gets restless if he knows (however he knows) there are wild animals outside. Although I live in a metro area, we get racoons, skunks, and lots of rabbits at night. And when he has hunted/caught rabbits in the evening he is restless all evening long - keeps wanting to go out and check for more. But that only lasts for a day or so.

Suggested Topics