Hair around umbilical hernia changing color?

• So Lenny has an umbilical hernia, which I know is very common for Basenjis. I just noticed that the hair/fur around his hernia has changed color from white to brown. Strange. I just scrubbed it with a wet wipe, to see if it was just dirt or something and nothing came off. The hernia itself seems like it could be slightly swollen, but not much. I could have sworn his whole underside was white before… and now it clearly seems like the area of hair around his hernia has changed color. It's about a 2 inch radius around his hernia....

Does anyone know if this is normal? Tayda doesn't have it...

• Well, you can't be too sure of my answer, but I would say since I don't remember how old Lenny is, that it is normal with aging. Also, he might have eaten something that he didn't like, causing the slight swollen umbilical hernia.

• @etzbseder:

Well, you can't be too sure of my answer, but I would say since I don't remember how old Lenny is, that it is normal with aging. Also, he might have eaten something that he didn't like, causing the slight swollen umbilical hernia.

Eating something would not cause a swelling of a herina? Not sure where you might have heard/read that.

To Lenny's Mom/Dad… is the herina itself red and/or purple? The hair is of no real concern... only if the herinia itself is very red or turning purple that it would be an emergency, usually they strangulate, which accounts for the red/purple color. And it is very rare that a Basenji would have a problem with an umbilical herina. Even bitches in whelp with big hernia's have very few if any problems birthing pups...

• @Tayda_Lenny:

So Lenny has an umbilical hernia, which I know is very common for Basenjis. I just noticed that the hair/fur around his hernia has changed color from white to brown. Strange. I just scrubbed it with a wet wipe, to see if it was just dirt or something and nothing came off. The hernia itself seems like it could be slightly swollen, but not much. I could have sworn his whole underside was white before… and now it clearly seems like the area of hair around his hernia has changed color. It's about a 2 inch radius around his hernia....

Does anyone know if this is normal? Tayda doesn't have it...

Could you take a picture? The hair itself shouldn't change color…..

The hernia could change size if it still has a small opening in the muscle wall. More or less fat can squeeze thru the hole. You can tell if it is open by trying to reduce it, or push the material back inside. If it makes him uncomfortable, obviously don't do it. Often the hole will close as the dog matures, and a little blob of fat will remain in the pocket. But my dogs that have hernias have always seemed to remain open, but small.

If the hernia is still open, it *could change size if his belly is really full of food? But it shouldn't have anything to do with eating something that would make him ill.

I agree with Pat, that it should stay about the same size, and be the same color as the rest of the skin.

• I will take a picture and post today after I get home. I don't think the actual hernia itself has changed color, definitely not noticeably red or purple… i'd say its slightly pinkish... it seemed like it could have been slightly swollen, but maybe it is accentuated by the change of the color of the hair around it. I looked at the skin under the hair, and it seems normal.

Is he just dirty?? ha ha ha. I used a few wet wipes on him yesterday and nothing seemed to be coming off. Maybe I'll give him a proper bath tonight just to make sure. Oh, he's gonna love that.

I noticed Taydas hernia is just about gone now (she is 5)... it was much more pronounced when I got her (she was 2).

Lenny has just turned 2...

Something my boyfriend mentioned, is that perhaps its the acidity of his urine that has caused the hair to change color? When he pee's, he doesn't really stand still until he's done. He pees, walks, pees, and its entirely possible that there is a little urine getting on his underbelly during this "process".... just another thought..

I will post a picture later today though... thanks for your responses!

• Jack's hair around his umbilical area turned brown a few months ago, but now it is back to white, don't know if it shedded and re-grew or what. I thought it was odd at the time too, but since the skin wasn't a different color, I didn't think it was much to worry about, just kept my eye on it. Sure enough, it changed back just as quickly.

• White hair can become a reddish brown color if a dog is licking at it alot. That may also make is look somewhat swollen.

I don't know why he would be licking at himself there though. Could he have come in contact with something on his belly that may have irritated his skin and he is now licking at himself?

• Well, he's always licking himself down there… lol... I never really check to see specifically what he is licking, but now I'll watch him like a hawk..

Suggested Topics