Fabric softener as a grooming rinse… it works!

• I read in one of my dog books about an interesting grooming trick: you can reduce dander (both large dandruff and small allergen types) by putting a capful of liquid fabric softener in a pitcher of water and putting it over the dog after you've rinsed all the soap out.

I didn't believe it, and didn't even want to try it because of Cooper's sensitive skin. So this little bit of information sat in my head for a few months, and Cooper's winter dandruff just kept getting worse. I was also concerned about his own allergies and finding a fabric softener that actually disclosed its ingredients (apparently most are actually made from beef tallow!).

On my last grocery trip, I was looking for my regular laundry soap. And a label caught my eye… Seventh Generation liquid fabric softener had a bright pink label proclaiming that it discloses all ingredients. So I read them and was satisfied. No beef. No dye. No perfume. There were literally four ingredients, including water, salt, and a preservative. The softener itself was derived from canola. And it was even cheaper than the other brand name softeners.

So when I gave him a bath after class on Wednesday, I rinsed him really well and put a capful of the softener in his rinse pitcher. Then I used his washcloth to sponge it all over him, to make sure it got down to the skin. Just towel drying him, I noticed a difference! He was shinier and softer. And it's two days later with less dandruff, and all of his fur is just as soft as his ears. Even when I brush a few flakes off of him, I'm not stirring up dozens more. I'm not sure if it's affecting my husband's allergies in any way, as he's coming down with a cold (this is a danger when all your coworkers have small children; we all get to share their germs).

Thought I'd pass it on. I'm impressed. I calculated that it adds an extra $0.10 to each bath, and it hasn't shown any adverse reactions on Cooper's skin.

Ruth

• That's a pretty neat little tip. I'll have to try it out since Dallas has had dry skin lately as well. Thanks! 🙂

• Very interesting, thanks for the tip.

On a side note, I use all Seventh Generation products at home, for home cleaning and laundry cleaning. I love the products. I really like that it lists all the ingredients too, I have a completely walk in glass block shower, and I use the tub/tile cleaner their and it's safe and non-toxic and I don't have to worry about my cat and dog who wander in there all the time.

I also have very sensitive skin and I use the laundry soap with no problems, and that's where i have one of my big problems with soaps 🙂
    Here's their website for those interested for more info: http://www.seventhgeneration.com/

• For those who want more info :

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/files/assets/pdf/msds/English/Fabric_Softener_FreeClear_MSDS.pdf

Watch out for their eyes !!! (pag.2)

• I have always been told that cream rinses are not only just a temporary fix for hair softness, but can also, in the long run, make dandruff worse.

I'm glad this has worked for you, but after years of having a bulldog with severe skin allergies I learned to treat from the inside out, ie diet and suppliments. It may take a little longer to see the evidence of how effective this process is, but in the long run, it's better for the dogs and my peace of mind.

Because of the wonderful info here, I started my B's on the 3V Caps about 2 weeks ago and have already seen improved skin and coat. I plan to continue with the fish and Omega3 oils. With the shedding season upon us, this seems the true test on what products work best. (We call it the 2 lint screen season…2 'senjis shedding, flannel sheets still on the bed, dogs sleeping in the bed, wash and dry the linens and change the lint screen twice during the dryer cycle because of all the hair:eek:)

• @snorky998:

I have always been told that cream rinses are not only just a temporary fix for hair softness, but can also, in the long run, make dandruff worse.

I'm glad this has worked for you, but after years of having a bulldog with severe skin allergies I learned to treat from the inside out, ie diet and suppliments. It may take a little longer to see the evidence of how effective this process is, but in the long run, it's better for the dogs and my peace of mind.

Because of the wonderful info here, I started my B's on the 3V Caps about 2 weeks ago and have already seen improved skin and coat. I plan to continue with the fish and Omega3 oils. With the shedding season upon us, this seems the true test on what products work best. (We call it the 2 lint screen season…2 'senjis shedding, flannel sheets still on the bed, dogs sleeping in the bed, wash and dry the linens and change the lint screen twice during the dryer cycle because of all the hair:eek:)

Glad to hear that the 3V caps are working… I have always thought that they were a good addition to the diet...

And nice to know about the fabric softner... it is a good "tool" for those of us that show and need to get that really nice coat for the show ring....

• Sweet trick! The only trick I can add is that we sometimes rub a dryer sheet on my furbabies backs so that we won't static shock them in the wintertime.

Suggested Topics