• Join us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Youtube Channel
  • Subscribe to RSS

Welcome to Basenji Community

Basenji owners from around the world come together at Basenji Forums to talk about this wonderful breed. We encourage your active participation in discussions on our forum.

Register now for free and start exploring the community
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing dogs' baby teeth?

I have a friend whose vet removes baby teeth at the time of spay/neuter in puppies. I've never heard of that. Is that a new norm? What is the rationale?

Never heard of it. What explanation did the vet give to justify this?

To prevent problems later if the teeth don't fall out. It's better to remove them while they are under anesthesia for the surgery than to risk anesthesia again later just to remove the teeth.

OMG...would that vet like to remove my pup, Liyah's baby teeth?!
    (I'm kidding of course). Ha ha!

Typically the spay/neuter is done around 6 months and by then the baby teeth are out? What age are they being spayed/neutered? And with the exception of the toy breeds, usually problems with the baby teeth not coming out is pretty small...
    Pat Fragassi
    Tanza Basenjis
    www.tanzabasenjis.net

I've heard of it in toy dogs, but not in larger breeds

The vet I worked for did the same thing. The spay/neuter was around 6 mos so if the teeth were still there they would need to be pulled.
    Jennifer

Many years ago, in 1992, I was a member of the Chicago Miniature Schnauzer Club. At that time I had a show quality dog. It was common to keep an eye on the dogs teeth as their bite was developing. The claim was that sometimes the baby teeth do not fall out by themselves as the adult teeth are coming in and it can affect the dogs bite. So breeders and people with show dogs and their vets paid close attention to this because the bite is looked at in the ring.

I suppose that is it possible that this has now become a common practice for Vets to prevent or head off bite issues that may occur. I would think the easiest way to find out why a vet would do this is to ask them.

Although we knew that Roo would not be shown we keep an eye on this because we did not want him to develop any bite issues. I probably kept on eye on his teeth out of habit.

If I remember correctly Roo's teeth were not completely in until 8 months. Of course this may vary from dog to dog.

Jason

The teeth that usually cause the problems with bites are the K-9's if they don't come out.. but rarely in our breed. Toy breeds, lots of times there are problems with the teeth and the bite.
    Pat Fragassi
    Tanza Basenjis
    www.tanzabasenjis.net

Kona (well over a year) still has one baby tooth and the vet said if/when she goes under anesthesia they want to take it out to prevent problems. Another note kind of related to this topic (and wondering if her extra baby tooth causes this)...but do your basenjis chew with their front teeth? Kona only chews with her back teeth. She will take a treat with her front teeth, but immediately drop it so she can readjust it so she doesn't have to use them. Is this normal?