• First Basenji's

I came across these on Craigslist and thought I'd pass them on…

http://austin.craigslist.org/pet/1660217768.html
    I helped a friend out by adopting his beautiful, 4 year old Basenji dog to save her from being dropped off at an animal shelter a few months ago. I thought I could give her the attention and love she needs and alas, I cannot. "Patty Mayonnaise" is her name. She is adorable, loving, and VERY active. I am simply not home enough. She is spayed, has all current shots, paperwork, and the tracking chip if you ever lose her. Patty has a sense of adventure (she tries to find escape routes to chase cats - she doesn't run away, per se). Please call Daniel at (512) 810 4240 or send an email. I am making an appointment with the Humane Society tomorrow so please call soon. (Austin, TX)

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pet/1647819362.html
    Rehoming to approved home only red and white born jan.4 2010 call 325 220 1784. (Dallas, TX)

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pet/1658272940.html
    I have a 5 1/2 year old, spayed basenji looking for a new home. She has lived with me and the other dogs here, since she was 3 months old and has decided she doesn't like them no way. This dog is brindle, house broken, leash trained, crate trained but this breed is not suited for first time dog owners. There is a rehoming fee and would be happy to talk with a person experienced in the breed. And if I can find her a place with other Bs to play with she'd be thrilled! and she learns really fast. (Raleigh, NC)

• Hi, I saw one listed in the SF Bay Area too:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pet/1652976972.html

Should I email this to BRAT? Not sure what I should do 😞

• First Basenji's

Even if BRAT were to be contacted, it seems that pets on Craigslist get transferred very quickly. Could send a message to the owner and suggest that as an option – if placing the animal in a good home is truly their concern, they'll be open to the suggestion.

As I mentioned in my intro post, the recent gal that came into our home is a Craigslist dog, also from the SF Bay Area. I e-mailed within a very short time of the post being put up, and we got the dog. She was not an impulse acquisition, as my partner and I had been looking for a very specific kind of second dog for well over a year.

But since we started looking, I made it a habit to check Craigslist just about every day. There was a rash of Basenjis that seemed to pop up all at roughly the same time. There was someone offering a male and female puppy at $650 apiece, definitely out of line with Craigslist terms of use (listings are only supposed to be rehoming animals with a reasonable fee, not selling animals or soliciting breeding services -- a point of contention that seems to drive a lot of people crazy, if you've ever broadly perused the pet listings). Then there was my gal, and at roughly the same time, a 9-year-old male ex-service Basenji. Then, a couple weeks after the first pair of puppies, the same person offered one last male for $250 (I'm thinking they were dumping the last of an irresponsibly-bred batch).

What worries me about Craigslist pet listings is that they're susceptible to quick sales. I've listed furniture and random household goods that have left my home within HOURS of being listed! That's part of why Craigslist is so great, but it's not what people should expect with animal listings, and it's definitely not the way to go for all breeds. Yet, I went there too. And some great pet owners I know also got their babies from Craigslist, puppies and rescues alike. But it always scares me when I see ads for these 'difficult' breeds like Basenji or Shiba, or large breed dog puppies, or name-brand pit bulls or "teacup" anythings... it's not a forum that inspires confidence in the general public. 😞

I think it's great that Craigslist listings get reposted here. Just have to move quickly as ads tend to disappear fast.

• First Basenji's

Curlytails, I got my Cody from craigslist too. I'm also doing something like you did for my next dog, whether it's a basenji or a shiba inu (I'm still undecided, and I like to think that when I find and meet our next family member and introduce him/her to Cody, I'll know it). I am looking to adopt another adult in July/August when I move, so I check CL every once in a while, watch BRAT and MASR everyday for updates, and check out Golden Opportunities on breeders' sites. Four months is a little early, but I want to be prepared.

Part of the reason I post the ones I see on CL on here is because sometimes when you ask people if they want to give their dog up to rescue, they say no. They'd rather rehome their dog with someone they meet and evaluate personally. Then of course there are those that are just out to make a quick buck. For whatever reason though, that dog needs a home. Also, I know BRAT is somewhat overwhelmed with the Bs in Florida.

• I contacted the person in San Jose and told her about BRAT and she should contact them, but made it clear that they will not "purchase".

I also asked her about the breeder, claims she got a male and female from a breeder that was local but now moved to the east coast. I know of no local Basenji person that has done that in the last 3 to 5yrs. I asked if she cared to share the name as she did say that she has been trying to reach her without success

• I sent the ad from Tx the info re BRAT. The first and third posts are no longer there.
    Thanks for letting me know.

• Comment: Quote - …but this breed is not suited for first time dog owners.

Crystalncody, I know these are not your words, but I have to make a general statement that I disagree with this. What I will agree about is basenjis are going to be different than say an "I want to please you all of the time and love you all of the time" labrador, but I think that you have to look at the individual new basenji owner.

I think there are a number of us on this forum who are not yet basenji owners, but are spending a great deal of time familiarizing themselves with the breed prior to owning one.

That said, what IS good about this ad is that it will weed out those who are not totally serious about giving a basenji a healthy, loving home.

• @Kipawa:

Comment: Quote - …but this breed is not suited for first time dog owners.

Crystalncody, I know these are not your words, but I have to make a general statement that I disagree with this. What I will agree about is basenjis are going to be different than say an "I want to please you all of the time and love you all of the time" labrador, but I think that you have to look at the individual new basenji owner.

I think there are a number of us on this forum who are not yet basenji owners, but are spending a great deal of time familiarizing themselves with the breed prior to owning one.

That said, what IS good about this ad is that it will weed out those who are not totally serious about giving a basenji a healthy, loving home.

What both of those statements say is true - basenjis are different than the dogs who love you no matter what and want to please you all the time - owning a basenji does call for more attention to making sure there is a strong bond so your dog will want what you want (most of the time). Basenjis are intense little animals, and if you are spending time familiarizing yourself with the breed, please include spending actual time with them in this familiarization process, reading about them won't be enough.

• First Basenji's

I agree that while the reading and research helped, I wish I had met or spent some time with a basenji before bringing Cody home. I would have been a little more prepared for what I was getting myself into had I done so. Hindsight is 20/20. Just from my experiences, I would strongly suggest that anyone that is thinking of getting a puppy or a rescue go visit some basenjis and spend some time with them if you haven't already. Just reading that they are mischievous and prone to destruction without proper exercise and supervision is a lot different than coming home and finding that your new little friend has chewed on the legs of your chairs, pulled all of your pots and pans out of your cabinets, shredded your favorite pair of jeans, or dug a hole through your bed. 🙂

It has been a great experience though, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has been amazing to see his personality slowly come to light. I have loved watching him grow from a scared, neglected little basenji into the beloved family member he was meant to be.

• @crystalncody:

Just from my experiences, I would strongly suggest that anyone that is thinking of getting a puppy or a rescue go visit some basenjis and spend some time with them if you haven't already. Just reading that they are mischievous and prone to destruction without proper exercise and supervision is a lot different than coming home and finding that your new little friend has chewed on the legs of your chairs, pulled all of your pots and pans out of your cabinets, shredded your favorite pair of jeans, or dug a hole through your bed. 🙂

Yes, being "in touch" with the breed is a must. It's necessary for a person to get a real feel for a basenji and how it lives and plays in 'real life'. I'm fortunate enough to be going to an outdoor show with luring the first week in August. Many basenji folks and their dogs with be staying at one particular hotel, and my husand and I are going to be at the same hotel as well. I've been promised a real treat of spending some time alone with a friend's basenji. I do agree that you have to spend time up close and personal with the dogs as well.

• First Basenji's

There is a male basenji at BARC in Houston, TX. R/W approximately 2 yrs old. He's been at the shelter since April 15th.
    ID# A1021224

• New today on Craigslist:
    FOUND: Red and white male basenji stray- there are pictures.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pet/1716907734.html

BOLO: Lost brindle and white male- no pictures
    http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pet/1714416874.html

• @Shaye's:

What both of those statements say is true - basenjis are different than the dogs who love you no matter what and want to please you all the time - owning a basenji does call for more attention to making sure there is a strong bond so your dog will want what you want (most of the time). Basenjis are intense little animals, and if you are spending time familiarizing yourself with the breed, please include spending actual time with them in this familiarization process, reading about them won't be enough.

When we were breeding to show, the pups we did not keep, were very carefully placed. We had contracts, pups always to come back to us if they could not be kept, no matter what age (only had one come back). One of my favorite questions was: Do you love your furniture more than your dog. We were asked several times why we were trying to talk them out of the breed, that was not our wish at all, we just wanted to be sure they understood the breed, their differences, uniquiness, quirks and that homes would be the forever type. It was worth the time it took to educate potential "parents".

• There is a lost female red basenji in Worcester, Mass…. here is her picture. She's been missing since 4/30 and her parents are heartsick... she is leary of strangers and likes to run...

Call 508-735-7465 if you see her.
    attachment_p_110855_0_lost-worcester.jpg

• Free 2 year old male basenji to good home… in Maine.... here is the listing:

http://maine.craigslist.org/pet/1733076864.html
    He's beautiful!
    attachment_p_111295_0_maine-basenji.jpg

• Here is the picture of the St Louis Basenji, red male, with a re-homing fee of $125.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pet/1731830766.html
    attachment_p_111296_0_0-st-louis-basenji.jpg

• Two female basenjis (3 yr old mom/2 yr old daughter), trying to place both together… no price listed:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pet/1732986535.html

• The reason I keep posting Craig's Lists' basenjis on here, especially the ones being sold or given away, is because I suspect that some of these dogs may have been found creatures, like this one in Oklahoma City, that people have decided to keep. If that's the case, and the people that lost their basenjis are still looking, well, the basenji world is rather small sometimes. 🙂

This dog is beautiful; the owner states she was found running (are you surprised?)…. perhaps someone is looking for this girl? They plan on returning it to the shelter, as they are getting married... if not, maybe BRAT can step in?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pet/1733292519.html
    attachment_p_111322_0_0-basenji-okl-city.jpg

• First Basenji's

One in the San Francisco Bay Area, no pictures, minimal info:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/1736241861.html

I e-mailed and gave her the info for BRAT as an option if she's really interested in finding a forever home for her pup. I told her they won't purchase but they'll help.

• And I always wonder if these people have contact the breeder as their first course of action…. granted some may have been purchased over the "INTERNET" and be "non returnable...." but always people should contact the breeder. Many times they do not because they are ashamed that their situation might have changed and they have to take steps to just get safe housing for themselves... Breeders understand... stuff happens...

Suggested Topics