• Join us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Youtube Channel
  • Subscribe to RSS

Welcome to Basenji Community

Basenji owners from around the world come together at Basenji Forums to talk about this wonderful breed. We encourage your active participation in discussions on our forum.

Register now for free and start exploring the community
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Considering adopting a Basenji/Shiba Inu mix

Hello all,

My husband and I are seriously considering adopting a Basenji/Shiba Inu mix. We had a Shiba for 11 years, whom we loved. When we rescued her, we were also investigating Basenjis.

Do you have any advice for us?

Jeannette

Where are you getting her from? Most shelters do some testing re temperment.
    Sharron Hurlbut
    BRAT, basenji rescue
    Evergreen basenji club
    Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue

Sorry, don't have advice to give really, but would LOVE to see pictures if you have any! Two of my favourite breeds!

We're getting him from a Basenji rescue organization in Indianapolis and he sounds well behaved. Not sure what I want to ask... Do you think he'd be better with a second dog in the house, since we're gone part of the day? (My husband thinks we should have 2 dogs in the house.)

I always think having 2 dogs is better. They keep either other company when we are busy or working...and they can play in a way we can't...
    Make sure your dogs like each other. Dogs have fav just like humans do.
    A male/female combo seems to work best with male/male the next choice.
    I think if you can get the dogs close to the same age or energy level it is helpful.
    Just my thoughts.
    Sharron Hurlbut
    BRAT, basenji rescue
    Evergreen basenji club
    Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue

Shiba + basenji two-dog household here! *raise hand*. I would love to see pictures too! How old is the mix? Any information on his history? I would definitely want to know how he does with other dogs before going for two at a time, but if you have room in your home, it seems like the way to go.

No advice to give you really, since you've already raised a shiba before and there's plenty of other good information on this forum already. If it works out, I look forward to hearing updates.

Default Thank you

Thanks for your advice. He's about a year old and recently was living with an older gentleman who couldn't keep up with him. Apparently he had an owner before that.

I'll post pictures when we get him.

Jeannette

Congratulations! Sounds like a neat dog. I agree with having two, be sure he is social and gets along with other dogs of course. Can't wait to see photos!

I also agree with having two, or three, or ????

Actually I think getting a dog every 5 years is best. It seems to spread the ages out well. That way the two youner ones can play and leave 15/16 year old dog at peace. Also, for performance dogs, one will be retired, one at his prime and one up-and-coming.

I'd say, get dog #1 and train him so that he's a joy for *you* to live with before getting another. Because dog #2 will learn from #1 and they learn the bad stuff soooo much quicker than the good stuff.

I think two in the household is much better than one - most of the difficult problems, like separation anxiety, went away when I got a sister (basenji/collie mix) for my basenjji female. I know most people here say female/female is not a good mix because one can eventually think the other must go, but I've seen none of that with my two. Please do put pictures on the site when you have your mix - bet that mixture is adorable.