• What is the difference in the particular chips that would make one more apt to move than the other?

• I know that back when microchips were first offered the Avid chips had a smooth coating whereas the Home Again chips have "microbarbs" in their coating so they are more likely to stay in place. I thought Avid changed their coating but I am not sure.

• This may seem like a dumb question, but where would one go to get a B microchipped. I don't have a new vet yet, because I just moved but would any facility, basically, be able to microchip?

• Mine are microchipped at 8 weeks old and so far I have not had any move

One more question: How do you know none of the chips have migrated? Do you or the current owners have that checked once in a while?

{Not trying to be difficult, just figuring out when's the best time for mc-ing, and which mc is the best to use}

• @lvoss:

AKC now allows owners to register their puppies' microchips with their Companion Animal Recovery system when they register their puppies. I pay for the registration of my puppies because I want them all in AKC database so with this litter I also paid for their microchips to all be registered at the same time.

Our B was microshipped from the get go, that's how they know where the breeder is from and how far our B came before he found his perm. home. I just received the transfer papers from AKC so he's officialy transfered over to our name. Before that, his foster mom had him under her name. I love that the tag contains the 800 number to call in case anything happens and someone finds our B without his mommie or daddy.

• I do have them read periodically but I can also feel them. I am lucky and get to see my pups pretty regularly and hear from their owners on a pretty regular basis. My oldest litter is only 2 so not that old but I don't think they will move now. The one dog I know whose chip did move, moved in the first couple of months and the owner can feel it and knows where it migrated to.

• Most vets microchip now. There are also microchip clinics. Some are offered at the same time and places the vaccine clinics.

• Hmmm, I've never noticed that I can feel Jazzy's chip. Of course, I've never tried to feel for it, but I pet and massage her regularly and have never noticed anything. There's generally not a bump or anything that I don't usually notice.

I'll have to pay more attention to the specific area, LOL, and see if I can identify hers!

Thanks for the info.

• When I had Nicky microchipped the vet showed me where it was and told me since the breed has such low body fat I may feel it and not to freak out. It feels like a grain of rice and I can find them on all my dogs. Nicky jumped when they did his so it is off just a little to the side. The puppies don't seem to jump as much. Theirs are all pretty well centered.

• If you are having trouble finding it, you may want to feel around the front of their neck and chest as well. My Doberman's had migrated to his neck.

Suggested Topics